Saturday, July 21, 2007

"My Father" Learning Log


Dear friends,

On July 15, 2007 @ 12:45 pm, my father passed away after a long illness. He died in the Emergency Room at the Melrose Wakefield Hospital surrounded by his family and had a peaceful parting from this world. We celebrated his 80th birthday, just 6 short weeks ago. He had a complicated medical history with two CABGs, had insulin dependent diabetes, end stage renal disease and received hemodialysis at least three times a week. He had multiple episodes of pneumonia, arthritis, gout and additional ailments. Although my father was not a general, he fought many battles. His strength and will to live far surpassed any of our expectations. Physicians were amazed at his endurance coping with multiple diseases and multiple system's failure. He kept rebounding after being so ill, especially the past four years. My only conclusion, in addition to modern medicine, was the power of love. Before leaving the funeral home on Wednesday night, the collage I had made of he and I, fell off the stand. This was witnessed by my daughter and her friend who were down the hallway. There was no one nearby, there was no explanation. I felt my father's presence. When we think of someone we love, they are with us, no matter where they are physically.

Over the past six days, I have incorporated, "Information, Research, and Technology " in to the planning and preparation of my father's funeral. My father wrote his own obituary 10 years ago and we tried to follow it the best we could. I had requested a slide show in memory of my father, but the funeral home did not have the technology. Instead, I created my own personal digital photo frame on Monday, including almost 1,000 photos. I sent an email with photo of my father to the funeral director to be incorporated in to the prayer card for guests who attended the wake. I followed up on this the next day, only to hear from the director, that his computer was down and he never received my request. I had to find someone else to print the prayer card after the fact. I created a program for the funeral Mass after spending many hours of research and compiled the information together myself. The obituary is in the process of being rewritten as the printing was done unprofessionally and inaccurately. On Thursday morning, I gave the Eulogy.

The "Information, Research, and Technology" course provided me with additional resources and skills to overcome many of the obstacles that my family had to endure during this difficult time. In retrospect, the funeral home (chosen by my father years ago for his final resting place) was purchased by a corporation not providing the service that he once knew. The lesson learned was the importance of research for any event or function prior to the actual event, but who knew? We relied on professionals to guide us through.

I hope to be on track with our final week of the class. I will enjoy reading everyone's Blogs in more detail once things settle down for me. I have been so fortunate to have met you all.

Mary Anne

5 comments:

Chris said...

Mary Anne. I am so sorry to hear of your fathers passing. From what you have shared he was truly an amazing man, and he left behind an even more amazing daughter! To use the skills you have learned from this class to make his last memories and moments all that much more special is the best "learning log" you could ever present. Again, I am sorry to hear of your loss, but you are a tribute to his legacy! I hope to see you soon.

Mary Lou said...

Mary Anne - Loosing our parents has to be one of the most emotionally upsetting events in our lives. You are a very strong woman to use your new found knowledge to perpetuate your fathers memories. I hope that the pain passes quickly leaving you with the warm, loving memories of your days with your dad. I extend my deepest condolences to you and your family.

posted by JoAnn said...

Mary Anne, I am so sorry to hear of your father passing away. Losing a parent is one of the most traumatic events in our lives. My prayers and heart felt thoughts are with you and your family. It is wonderful how strangers have connected through a " blog " and made a connection that well be ever lasting.

Eileen said...

Mary Anne--how sad to go from happy pillow fights on the cape to losing your Dad---from happy to heart-breaking days!i am so sorry for your loss no one can replace a parent's love and loss.I lost my Dad almost 30 years ago and have the joy of still feeling him in my life even though he never was there physically for my wedding or the births of my children. Have comfort in your memories and know that part of the wonderful person you are is because you were loved by him. My prayers are with you and your family. This class has connected all of us

Catherine said...

WOW Mary Anne, what an amazing journey. It's wonderful that you were able to be so present for your Dad in his transition. My Dad died in 1994 and eventually I became a hospice volunteer - often sitting with people during their transition. It's a gift for sure. Sorry for your loss...and I'm sure the pictures falling over was a direct communication from your Dad.
Many blessings,
my prayers continue to be with you and your family.
Catherine